Followers

Friday, January 15, 2010

Audry II


I've been a bit neglectful with this blog lately. I've gotten some work done though. Here is the finished piece, "Audry II" from Little Shop of Horrors. She is a gift for a friend who is a book and movie nut. He has already seen this and is very excited about it. She was fun to make and I love her teeth, which are painted toothpicks. The wire inside allows for positioning the tendrils to support her, as her head is a bit top heavy. She is embellished with glass beads and false eyelashes. I've also made a few more bracelets, which were custom orders for size and color. They all turned out nice and the customers were pleased. Other than that, we've been glued to CNN watching the horror that is transpiring in Haiti. Since I used to go to Port-au-Prince when I worked on the container ship, it is especially shocking to see what used to be there reduced to rubble. I will never forget the extreme heat and humidity in that city and I can't imagine what rescuers are facing. It's the most awful natural disaster I've ever seen and I fear things will become much worse there in the very near future as disease begins to spread. The city had deplorable sanitation to begin with, so all those nasty bugs are already there just looking for a chance to multiply. That has now happened and I imagine the country will need to be quarantined. My heart goes out to those people who's history has been tragic for the last 200 years. Between corrupt governements, slavery, hurricanes and now this awful earthquake, they haven't had much of a chance in life, yet they continue to stuggle on and survive. You have to admire their strength. It is, however, a bright point to see nearly every other country in the world rally to help. They have alot of challenges ahead of them.

No comments: